Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Usability Evaluation Considered Harmful

Main message- "The choice of evaluation methodology – if any – must arise from and be appropriate for the actual problem or research question under consideration."

They explain that researchers should first sit down and look over what they are trying to demonstrate in their experiment. Then, the method that best demonstrates this concept should be used. Some of these methods include usability studies, design critiques, design alternatives, case studies, cultural probes, reflection, design rationale, etc. They go on to explain that a combination of these methods is even more useful to prove your point.

I doubt this is just me... but this is completely obvious. I would like the 20 minutes of my life that I spent reading these 10 pages back please.

No comments: